Friday, March 19, 2010

My Mac is Back...

       Pardon my blogging absence and now what will be a long post, but last Thursday night my trusted Mac computer decided all was not right in it's world.   After downloading an update, it began running very slowly, followed on Friday by the dreaded white screen and the prohibited sign - hard drive failure!  I was afraid I had lost the last several months of photos and files (my backup apparently failed since Dec. 2009) and well, checking my backup just hasn't been on the top of the priority list this ski season.   The hard drive failure was quite a surprise to me because it was only about 1/4 full and only 15 months old.  So our computer made the very long drive down to visit one of only 2 apple authorized service providers in New Hampshire (one of the downsides of rural living :-)  My dead Mac was coupled with yet another nasty New England late winter storm on Saturday night, Sunday & Monday - during which we lost power, again....  
Thankfully, the computer expert was able to recover nearly everything and after a new hard drive was installed my Mac is back, happy, and I'm happy too!   Isn't it amazing how dependent we all are on our computers?  I've really missed it this week (it was with the expert for nearly 4 days) - okay, I may have an unnatural love for my Mac.. don't we all? 
     Around here, I've spent entirely too many hours in my van this week, driving the Mac to the expert, trekking to the mountain for skiing, taking Nikki to an unplanned Dr. visit (the early Spring has made for a tough allergy season for both of us - which resulted in a mild ear infection for Nikki) and yesterday more driving to pick up the Mac.  On the upside, we've had beautiful weather, 50's all week, 20's at night, mostly sunny.   The snow is starting to melt off in our yard and I'm finally seeing measurable amounts of brown grass out my front window -  Spring seems to be coming so early this year.   We have been up late every night this week, sugaring, and I promise to post more on that next week when I have time to get the photos downloaded.  First,  I need to reorganize my photos and files which are on an external drive at present.   
For today, I leave you only with a picture of skiing this past Tuesday - the day after the storm departed.  While many in New Enlgand got inches and inches of rain, here in the mountains we got inches and feet of snow, coupled with sleet and ice rain - every inch of every tree was covered in ice, it was an amazing site to behold.  The skiing post storm was great, 50 degrees, 44 at the summit with blinding sun!  (my apologies for the poor photo quality - It was taken with my blackberry)
Violin lessons today, household catch-up, more sugaring, and I think our holiday solar lights are finally not frozen in the ground after the sunny warm week we've had - they really need to come down -  it is after all, nearly Spring.  
Happy Spring!  
I'll see you back in this space next week.  

1 comment:

  1. So glad you were able to recover your stuff off the broken harddrive. My Mac has been great the past 2 years, but knock on wood. I love having a Mac as compared to the PC. Much simpler and less hassle of all the updates, virus software, and crashes.

    ReplyDelete

Hello, thank you for visiting one, two, twenty-seven. I'd love you to leave your comments here. If your comment doesn't show up right away, please be patient, as I do moderate all comments before they appear. Thank you.