Monday, December 5, 2011

A Griswold Tree

This year is the first year we have a 27 foot ceiling in our living room 
so the hunt was on this weekend for a true "Griswold" tree 
(I love National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation, don't you?)
In case you need to refresh your memory


We were minus the snow - yes all the snow we got has melted...
(except for a few remaining patches on the road side - can you see it in the my first photo?)
40 degrees in December really is NOT normal for New Hampshire, 
but at least we didn't need our snowshoes to get the tree this year, right?


While we usually cut a Charlie Brown tree from our land most years, 
last year we happened upon a wonderful tree farm, just by chance, 
and it really was just a New Hampshire Farm house, 
2 generations of family living there with 2 acres of trees out back - 
needless to say it was the best tree we have ever had  it  
lasted nearly 5 weeks in our warm wood stove living room.  
 They are only open Saturdays and Sundays but all trees $35 bucks - any size :-) 
 So naturally we decided to give our local farmer our business again this Christmas season.
 After about an hour of searching, I'm pretty sure we found the tallest tree on the farm
Not quite a "Griswold tree" but at 13 feet it'll do just fine!
 Nikki was ready to help cut this year, but after a few minutes fizzled out 
and let the boys at it!

 Never a lack of silliness around here, 
especially when dragging trees, running with 10+ foot sticks and holding sharp objects :-) 
Glad the tree isn't any bigger because I'm still not exactly sure 
how it's going to fit through the door!  
Hope your tree hunt was as fun as ours
P.S. Did I mention that my kids are seriously getting so tall...
I am destined to be outgrown by both my children - any day now!
-Erin 

1 comment:

  1. Wow that is one big tree! We're only going to get ours this week-end. Just looking at the pictures, I was thinking that Nikki and Cole look like they're much taller now & I think I'm a little scared to stand next to them :P We would love to see you too, but I don't think we'll be able to come this year, since we are planning on starting the basement renovations during the winter break, in the few days when we'll all be at home.
    PS: I almost never get it right (style wise & other), I just make it seem that way :P

    ReplyDelete

Hello, thank you for visiting one, two, twenty-seven. I'd love you to leave your comments here. If your comment doesn't show up right away, please be patient, as I do moderate all comments before they appear. Thank you.